[mythtv-users] ATSC channel not detected with ATI TV Wonder 600

Will Dormann wdormann at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 20:38:51 UTC 2020

On 1/3/20 2:55 PM, Devin Heitmueller wrote:
> The TV Wonder 600 is a design that is more than ten years old (I did
> Linux driver support for it a very long time ago).  It's entirely
> possible the issue is simply the tuner RF frontend not being able to
> handle poor signal conditions such as multipath interference or
> adjacent channel noise as well as newer tuner designs.

Yeah, I'm coming to the conclusion that it's probably just that the TV
Wonder 600 just isn't a great tuner.  What's frustrating is that it's a
channel that worked in the past, and now when I need it, it's not
working.   It could very well be that WPXI lives in a more crowded
neighborhood of the spectrum, and the ATI tuner just can't deal with
that.   It used to be on RF channel 48, where nothing was even close to
it on either side.  But its current home of channel 23 has "something"
adjacent to it on both sides.

Are there more-modern USB ATSC tuners that are recommended these days?
Spot checking the USB devices at
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Digital_Tuner_Cards#ATSC makes me think that
these sort of devices haven't been made for years.

Thanks
-WD