[mythtv-users] mysql mythtv user issue - fixes/31

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 21:05:05 UTC 2020

On 2/12/20 2:47 PM, Tim Pletcher wrote:
> I am using fixes/31 branch installed via mythbuntu ppa on Ubuntu 18.04 and
> as of the package release yesterday (11-Feb-2020), mythbackend startup
> fails with error:
>
> mythbackend[9180]: E CoreContext mythdbcon.cpp:236 (OpenDatabase) Driver
> error was [1/1045]:#012QMYSQL: Unable to connect#012Database error
> was:#012Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
>
> I was also unable to login to mysql as the mythtv user using the previously
> configured password in the mythtv user config.xml file.  To fix, I had to
> log into the mysql root account and reconfigure the mythtv mysql user
> password via:
>
> ALTER USER 'mythtv'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'my_prior_password';
> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
>
> After doing the above, the backend would start without issue.  However, the
> problem recurred when updating to the current mythbuntu package release
> today.
>
> I assume this relates to commit beb8843
> <https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/beb8a43e78976b08eca0401ac7fa9830379ce408>in
> fixes/31 or 5c632ca
> <https://github.com/MythTV/packaging/commit/5c632ca1df84e257e57ab894456ebc25fff2479c>
> in the packaging repo.  Has anyone else experienced this issue?

The new line is: ALTER USER 'mythtv'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED WITH mysql_native_password;
(assuming mythtv is the user being created if it doesn't exist and then altered.)

Please mention your SQL version.

If you try the above ALTER... does it remove your password. It didn't in my tests
and per the help pages (at least my reading of them.) There is a RETAIN CURRENT PASSWORD
option, but I'm not certain that it works for all versions of MariaDB and MySQL. There's
also mentioned of it applying to a secondary password.

Thanks.

--
Bill