[mythtv-users] Question on python dependency

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sun Feb 9 20:19:36 UTC 2020

On 2/9/20, Bill Meek <keemllib at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/9/20 7:24 AM, Tom Dexter wrote:
>> I'm running MythTV under Gentoo. For several reasons I'm staying on
>> 29.1 for now. Looking forward to the EOL of python 2, and the fact
>> that 29.1 only supports version 2, I wanted to verify something
>> regarding the python dependency.
>>
>> Am I correct that the only python dependency is for the python
>> bindings, and that if I'm not using the bindings or any third party
>> scripts that use them, that MythTV itself doesn't otherwise require
>> it? Just wanted to make sure on that.
>
> Short answer, no.
>
> Things like the Hardware Profiler and the metadata grabber use the
> bindings and run under v2 or v3. find_orphans.py uses the bindings
> and its Wiki has been updated (I think that would count as a 3rd
> party script.)
>
> I don't speak Gentoo, but if that means it builds from source, then
> at configure time you'd have to add the --python=python2 switch. Or,
> perhaps just --python=python if that's the correct executable name.
>
> If that switch isn't used, then the default (python3) will be used.
>
> --
> Bill

I'm not familiar with the Hardware Profiler at all(?). When you say
the metadata grabber are you referring to the grabber for mythvideo
content etc? If that's the case, I've always had videos using purely
the file browse mode with no metadata. While it would be nice to have
find_orphans.py I can do without it.

>From what I can see the Gentoo mythtv ebuild I use will add
--without-bindings=python to the configure options and completely omit
the --python= option. Are you saying that with that it would still be
using python in that case?

As to John's reply I don't use MythArchive or mythburn etc.

Tom