[mythtv-users] SystemD (Was: Recommended Linux Distro post CentOS)

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 11:20:39 UTC 2020

On Sat, 19 Dec 2020 at 21:34, marcus hall <marcus at equinox.tuells.org> wrote:

> Case in point is my systemd unit to start mythbackend.  It appparently
> fails.
> That's about all I have been able to get out of it.  But after the system
> boots, systemctl restart mythbackend gets it started just fine.

Me and at least one other person have run into an issue recently where the
backend starts but comes to a halt after a few seconds.

The backend is apparently still running (systemctrl reports it as active)
but there's nothing being written to the logfile (even at debug level) and
it doesn't accept connections.

The halt coincides with the backend's first connection to the capture cards
and my uneducated guess it that the backend is waiting forever for some
response from one of my cards.

I've worked around the issue by changing some of the card parameters on the
Capture Card Setup page and all appears OK now.

I don't know what your issue is but the symptoms fit the problem I was
having, which were not systemd related because as far it was concerned
mythbackend had started and was running.

It's always worth looking at the backend log.