[mythtv-users] Shield frontend "light"

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 14:28:30 UTC 2020

On 20/12/2020 23:45, Tom Harris wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 20, 2020 at 6:37 AM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com
> <mailto:pb.mythtv at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     On 12/20/20 12:10 AM, Tom Harris wrote:
>      > My primary frontend is the shield mythfrontend app (Thank you Peter
>      > Bennett).
>      >
>      > I'm very happy with it, but one thing that could be optimized a
>     bit is
>      > startup time.  In my previous x86 frontends I built with only the
>      > features I used - which for me is just viewing recordings.  I'm not
>      > really sure how much difference that makes, so I'm looking for input
>      > on whether it's worth the effort to set up a cross-compile
>     environment
>      > to build the frontend.  Does a "light" build make a meaningful
>      > difference in startup time or other resource utilization?
>      >
>     Mythfrontend startup time is slow on any system, both linux and
>     android.
>     I don't know of any way to speed it up.
>      > Also, I do know the leanfront app is effectively a lightweight Myth
>      > Frontend, and I use that sometimes.  But, I still end up using
>      > mythfrontend much of the time for the incredibly fast skip-ahead
>      > performance skipping over commercials.
>      >
>      >
>     leanfront does not use the seek table, so that is part of the reason it
>     is slower. However, some UK recordings seem to be much slower than US
>     recordings at skipping. My US recordings skip in a second or two, but
>     some UK samples take up to 15 seconds to skip. What recordings are you
>     using and how slow is your skip time? I may look into why the UK
>     recordings have such a slow skip time if there are affected users.
>

>   I'm in the US, and the performance is good.  A skip ahead on my Nvidia
> Shield is about 1 second.  It's better than most other media player
> players I've tried.
>
> So, it's not that leanfront is slow, it's just that mythfrontend is
> incredibly fast.  A skip ahead just jumps 30s ahead with almost no
> perceptible interruption.  When watching something like an NFL football
> game I'm constantly skipping ahead between plays and past commercials
> and the quick skips are really nice.

I have tried jumping around in leanfront in several of my recordings
including UK DVB-T2 HD.  Short (ie single click) skips are typically
around 1 second, longer ones may bring up the buffering rotating arrow.

Perhaps initially more disconcerting is the very brief recalibration (?)
pause that follows.  FireTVstick 4k, good wifi connection,

mythffmpeg -fflags +genpts -i infile -vcodec copy -acodec copy -f mpegts
outfile.ts

followed by a mythcommflag --rebuild, which iiuc leanfront won't use.

John P