[mythtv-users] Can't start mythfrontend with TV off since moving to Intel graphics

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Sun Dec 20 10:39:52 UTC 2020

On 27/10/2020 19:40, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> I've recently moved from nvidia to Intel graphics for my frontend. With
> nvidia, I could specify CustomEDID and ConnectedMonitor options in my
> xorg.conf so that mythfrontend would start up before the TV was turned
> on, but Intel graphics doesn't support the ConnectedMonitor option and I
> so far can't find an alternative.
>
> When mythfrontend starts it reports failure to find a screen and
> attempts to set a mode with 0fps, although xrandr correctly reports the
> modes specified via CustomEDID.

I've just finally resolved this without the need for an EDID emulator.
The solution was, along the lines of some replies I received here, to
add kernel boot parameters. It seems that the exact syntax has changed
in recent kernels. The extra parameters I'm now using are:

   drm.edid_firmware=HDMI-A-1:edid/marantz_edid.bin video=HDMI-A-1:D

It took a while to discover that HDMI-A-1 was the drm system's name for
the connection. I discovered that by adding the kernel command
drm.debug=14 and looking at the output of dmesg. I also have to ensure
that the edid file is in my initramfs.

Thanks again to everyone who chipped in.