[mythtv-users] Shield frontend "light"

Tom Harris thom.j.harris at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 05:10:49 UTC 2020

My primary frontend is the shield mythfrontend app (Thank you Peter
Bennett).

I'm very happy with it, but one thing that could be optimized a bit is
startup time.  In my previous x86 frontends I built with only the features
I used - which for me is just viewing recordings.  I'm not really sure how
much difference that makes, so I'm looking for input on whether it's worth
the effort to set up a cross-compile environment to build the frontend.
Does a "light" build make a meaningful difference in startup time or other
resource utilization?

Also, I do know the leanfront app is effectively a lightweight Myth
Frontend, and I use that sometimes.  But, I still end up using mythfrontend
much of the time for the incredibly fast skip-ahead performance skipping
over commercials.