[mythtv-users] SystemD (Was: Recommended Linux Distro post CentOS)

marcus hall marcus at equinox.tuells.org
Sat Dec 19 21:33:10 UTC 2020

On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 07:04:15PM +0000, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
> > You completely missed my point.  When I said "usually" and "often" I
> > meant the that the very first time you try the .service file you have
> > just written, it works.
>
> No I got your point exactly. And when it doesn't - you have this "black box" you can't debug.

Case in point is my systemd unit to start mythbackend.  It appparently fails.
That's about all I have been able to get out of it.  But after the system
boots, systemctl restart mythbackend gets it started just fine.

Now, perhaps I'm missing some dependency.  I had thought it was probably the
database, so I added /etc/systemd/system/mythbackend.service.d/local.conf
(I'm using the standard fedora distributed mythbackend.service file) with

[Install]
Requires=mariadb.service
After=mariadb.service

And, just for good measure, I added:

[Service]
Restart=always
RestartSec=3

It would seem that even if it fails after reboot, the Restart directive
would make systemd re-try every 3 seconds.  Yet, mythbackend fails to
start up the first time and systemd gives up.

So, I've spent enough time trying to figure out why systemd isn't doing its
job and now I just manually start it.

Progress...

marcus hall