[mythtv-users] mythbackend Start-up issue - possible race with dvb device firmware loading

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 16:34:35 UTC 2020

> I'm certainly seeing it after a reboot and, most recently, after running
> mythtv-setup to fiddle with capture card settings.  I haven't done a
> channel scan recently so I don't think that's the issue for me.

Just to report back on this issue.

I ran mythtv-setup and modified the capture card settings for both cards:
I changed:

Signal Timeout to 7000
Tuning Timeout to 10000

...and I unchecked 'Open DVB Card on Demand'.

I think that last setting is unchecked by default, but I had turned it on
the first time I set up my backend, because I read somewhere that this can
speed up booting.  I never noticed any problems while I had a DVB-T card
and a DVB-T2 card.  The problems appeared when I replaced the DVB-T card
with a second T2 one.

Since changing those parameters about three weeks ago I've had no backend
startup failures.  So that's all good.  I can't say I'm anywhere near
understanding what the problem was though.