[mythtv-users] Recommended Linux Distro post CentOS

Ryan Novosielski ryan at novosielski.com
Tue Dec 15 05:57:04 UTC 2020

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020, at 00:24, James Linder wrote:

> > On 15 Dec 2020, at 1:03 pm, Ryan Novosielski <ryan at novosielski.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 14, 2020, at 03:24, Ben wrote:
> >> Hey all,
> >>
> >> I figured I'd ask here because the main goals of updating my server
> >> from CentOS 6 to --- well, no longer CentOS 8 since it's no longer
> >> going to be what CentOS was...
> >>
> >> I'm wondering who is using what for their home servers for MythTV (and
> >> Plex) on the same box.
> >>
> >> I also use desktop apps on this same system as well as run some
> >> VirtualBox VMs (Windows and Raspbian)
> >>
> >> So with that -- I'd like to hear from the group what people have been
> >> happy with that's LTS-ish like CentOS was.
> >
> > To be honest, I'm a little surprised CentOS wasn't a huge pain in the neck for a MythTV server, given the age of the components.
> >
> > I'd use (and do) Ubuntu LTS. I'll admit that I'm currently on a still-supported MythBuntu 16.04 (support ends next year), and I'm somewhat dreading going jumping to Ubuntu proper, but just because of the work involved, not because I don't think it will work.
>
> Actually Ryan I install LTS xubuntu, use ansible to build fixes/31 and
> have a working system within the hour. I admit to using m2-ssd (that
> makes a huge speed difference) and that I've done this before but your
> dread is not warranted.

Yeah, I'm not really that worried about it, but it's always something. The last time I upgraded, my video card was dropped from all of the easily-available NVIDIA drivers (was probably time to upgrade anyway, and I bought a reasonably-priced GT710). The time before that, the LIRC I2C driver went away and the way to get that back was to either figure out the devinput method or patch LIRC. I did the latter the first time, and the former this time. This time, (I'm on 0.29) it appears as if something is wrong with my install where input groups don't work, and my PVR-350 records at a very low volume (I have sort of a kludgey sometimes works/sometimes not fix for that).  Probably the perils of using relatively old (free) hardware, like the Dell OptiPlex 745 I have for a backend.

--
  Ryan Novosielski
  ryan at novosielski.com