[mythtv-users] Recommended Linux Distro post CentOS

Ryan Novosielski ryan at novosielski.com
Tue Dec 15 05:03:42 UTC 2020

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020, at 03:24, Ben wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I figured I'd ask here because the main goals of updating my server
> from CentOS 6 to --- well, no longer CentOS 8 since it's no longer
> going to be what CentOS was...
>
> I'm wondering who is using what for their home servers for MythTV (and
> Plex) on the same box.
>
> I also use desktop apps on this same system as well as run some
> VirtualBox VMs (Windows and Raspbian)
>
> So with that -- I'd like to hear from the group what people have been
> happy with that's LTS-ish like CentOS was.

To be honest, I'm a little surprised CentOS wasn't a huge pain in the neck for a MythTV server, given the age of the components.

I'd use (and do) Ubuntu LTS. I'll admit that I'm currently on a still-supported MythBuntu 16.04 (support ends next year), and I'm somewhat dreading going jumping to Ubuntu proper, but just because of the work involved, not because I don't think it will work.

--
  Ryan Novosielski
  ryan at novosielski.com