[mythtv-users] Recommended Linux Distro post CentOS

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 10:40:54 UTC 2020

On 12/14/20 3:24 AM, Ben wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I figured I'd ask here because the main goals of updating my server
> from CentOS 6 to --- well, no longer CentOS 8 since it's no longer
> going to be what CentOS was...
>
> I'm wondering who is using what for their home servers for MythTV (and
> Plex) on the same box.
>
> I also use desktop apps on this same system as well as run some
> VirtualBox VMs (Windows and Raspbian)
>
> So with that -- I'd like to hear from the group what people have been
> happy with that's LTS-ish like CentOS was.
>
> Thanks,
>
>  -Ben

My observation as a use of Mythtv is that the main work is done on
Ubuntu because that seems to be the easiest to install and most
everything else seems to be based off of that. But that's just my
observation.

I've been using Mythtv since I installed it using Mythbuntu 14. Now I'm
on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS with v31 Mythtv. The PC that is my backend is also
used as a samba/cifs NAS for the whole house, but that is all it does.
It's 10 year old PC with RAID storage plus a boot SSD.

My frontends are FireTVs or Nvidia Shield TVs but all my PCs and Laptops
can run some form of frontend.

I'm happy with that set.

If I needed to change, I'd replace the backend with a RPI 4 4GB with
HDHomerun quatro and get a dedicated brand name NAS with RAID.

Jim A