[mythtv-users] Best tuner?

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 14:45:12 UTC 2020

DaveD and James:

> Any suggestion that tuners don?t count but antenna does needs a few grains of salt.
> Using a bunny-ears to the test backends gives nearly the same performance!

Over a year ago created a new BackEnd using a Hauppauge 1609: quad
tuner.  The old system used their 1600 and 2250.  Antenna untouched; the
new tuner took care of 99% of my previous pixellation and dropout issues.

Antenna positioning, coax quality, and other hardware factors are also
important, but the newer generation of tuners are better at compensating
for signal strength variations due to wind.  FWIW I actually have two
antenna systems here: both antennae are essentially identical (same
model, purchased maybe six months apart).  One goes to the Backend. the
other to the TVs.  Whole bunch of variables due to the distribution but
some TVs are better able to display when it's windy, some are not.  The
older and cheaper TVs will break up while the newer and better TVs will
have an essentially solid display.  And there have been times we've
switched from OTA TV to Live TV via MythTV because of the poor signal.

So yes, the tuner makes as much difference as the antenna does.

Barry