[mythtv-users] Mythtv on Raspberry PI OS 64 bits

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 11:57:24 UTC 2020

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 6:37 AM Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:

> A buddy of mine uses rPi(s) in a product he sells.  I have found Arch
> Linux to be a very good platform for packages because of their AUR repo.
> Ubuntu is also now available on them.  Have either of you tried those?  Do
> you have a SATA adapter for faster storage, or just using the frontend?
> From Jims note about mythweb I assume it is a BE/FE combo.
>
> Jim - I also installed Lineage on mine a couple weeks ago, but the very
> frustrating mouse/bt keyboard support quickly made me drop that project on
> the floor before I ever even installed MythTV on it.
>
> -Greg

Greg,

I have tried Ubuntu 64 bit on RPI4, but didn't get Mythtv working.
However, I just got Mythtv combo working on RPI OS 64 bit.

Here's what I did.  As I mentioned in an earlier  post, I couldn't use
ansible and a few packages had to be removed or added.
It built clean and installed in /usr/local/bin.

>From there I cheated big time by using pi-mythbackend-helper.sh from
https://github.com/MikeB2013/pi-utils.
It set up mariadb, user mythtv, mythconverg, mythbackend service XMLTV,
etc.  It worked fine except it assumes that your mythbackend is in /usr/bin
and not /usr/local/bin.  So once I fixed the backend systemd service it
worked as expected.  The frontend also worked and since all my video to
this point is OTA ATSC USA HD TV, I use opengl software decoding and
deinterlacing.

It seems to work just like the RPI4 on the 32 bit stuff, but since I'm
picky about my video quality, I don't use mythfrontends on RPi4 around the
house.  It works great as a backend though and I use either FireTV 4K or
Shield TV as frontends.

JIm A