[mythtv-users] Black screen after idle

DryHeat122 dryheat122 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 02:08:05 UTC 2020

On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 2:37 AM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Aug 2020 21:06:22 -0700, you wrote:

> https://askubuntu.com/questions/1085807/black-screen-after-installation-of-ubuntu-18-04
> >)

> >> I've fought this problem off and on for many years and releases of
> >> *buntu and mythtv.
> >>
> >> IMHO it's a linux problem. too many things control the power options.
> >> On some systems I install the screensave and then disable it.  On
> >> others I use the power settings. Generally I've found that I enable
> >> the screensaver but set the time to never works the best.
> >>
> >> There are just too many things that seem to have access to control the
> >> screen off and on.
> >>
> >> I have on occasions control-alt-F1 then logged in and restarted
> >> lightdm to fix it without rebooting. sudo systemctl restart lightdm
> >>
> >> Jim A
> >>
> >> ***
> >
> >I have the same issue (Ubuntu 18.04/Myth30) but in my case hitting the
> >Enter button on the remote restores normal operation so I haven't paid
> >much attention.
> >

> I have had this one once recently.  It went away when I hit the shift
> key, which is what screen savers do.  I had to reboot to stop it
> happening all the time, so it must be something that only happens on
> occasional boots as I have not seen it before.
>
> Apart from the power and screen saver settings, the other thing that
> needs to be set off is the DPMS option in /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
>
> Section "Monitor"
>         Identifier "Sony TV"
>         Option "DPMS"   "false"
> EndSection
>
> Just had the problem reoccur so got to try these fixes.  Hitting shift did
nothing.  Hitting enter played a recorded show, with audio but no video bc
the screen is black.  esc stopped the playback.  ctl-alt-f1 does nothing.
SSH from another machine and try @Stehpen's fix restarting lightdm and I
get " Unit lightdm.service not found."  This reboot will install the edit
to xorg.conf so we will see if that helps.