[mythtv-users] android mythfrontend timeline issue fixed?

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 17:06:31 UTC 2020

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 7:09 AM Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/5/20 8:53 AM, Jim Abernathy wrote:
>
> Until recently I've been use the Android mythfrontend (
> mythfrontend-20200323-arm64-v31.0.apk
> <https://dl.bintray.com/bennettpeter/generic/mythtv_31/android_64/:mythfrontend-20200323-arm64-v31.0.apk>)
> on my Nvidia Shield TV.
>
> I was having a problem with watching in-progress recordings when I used
> the down arrow to advance 10 minutes if that was the first press of any
> direction key at a point 10-20 minutes into a viewing session. When I did
> this it skipped more than 10 minutes.
>
> This week I built the apk from source using master
> (mythfrontend-20200602-arm64-v32-Pre-523-g907841a119.apk). The timeline
> issue seems to be fixed.  Even though the new FE says v32, it works with my
> v31 backend also.
>
> I still have issues with properly setting up 5.1 surround sound, but
> that's not a big deal for me in OTA TV watching.
>
> I still don't know if I have the optimum settings for MPEG2 HD video, but
> what I have works fine and the picture is great most of the time.
>
> Jim A
>
> P.S. Android mythtv-leanfront's video is still better, but they are close
> now.
>

> I know this is a 2 month old post but I wanted to updated it.
>
> After yesterday's finding of an issues related to my Shield TV and using a
> USB Flash drive constantly inserted in one of the USB port, here's the
> details.
>
> This morning I was watching an in-progress recording about 30-40 minutes
> behind real time. Absolutely no video quality issues at the 15 minute point
> as previously observed. Also at the 20 minute point where the network cuts
> to the local station for local news, I used the down arrow to skip 10
> minutes to the 30 minute point and it works as expected.
>
> The version tested was
> mythfrontend-20200716-arm64-v31.0-79-g89d1991ef2.apk.
>
> <https://dl.bintray.com/bennettpeter/generic/mythtv_31/android_64/:mythfrontend-20200716-arm64-v31.0-79-g89d1991ef2.apk>
>
> The hardware was a 2017 Shield TV.
>
> Not sure if either the Shield TV or mythfrontend could have been using the
> external USB Flash key for any caching but, whatever I did by eliminating
> the USB Flash key seems to have fixed this problem.
>
> This was not an intermittent problem. It happened everyday at about the
> same timeline points.
>
> So this seems to be my issue only which explains why no one could
> duplicate the problem
>
> Jim A

Well, I can chime in and say that unrelated to MythTV, I had a friend who
thought it would be good to put a USB 2.1 drive into the Shield to allow
more storage for Kodi metadata.  With no button presses or configuration,
it used the device for data and caching.  Of course, it could not be
written to fast enough (cheap stick), and there wewre lags and glitches all
over the place.  Of course, as usual, when asked - "nothing has changed"
was the response, but clearly something had.

Regardless - all I am doing is confirming that external USB on the older
Shields will throttle things.