[mythtv-users] Error downloading theme package from master backend

David Hampton mythtv at love2code.net
Mon Aug 10 16:04:15 UTC 2020

On Thu, 2020-08-06 at 13:05 +0100, Tim Draper wrote:

>  ---- On Mon, 03 Aug 2020 14:18:35 +0100 Stuart Auchterlonie <
> stuarta at squashedfrog.net> wrote ----
>  > On 30/07/2020 13:18, Tim Draper wrote:
>  > > all my frontends are having intermittent issues downloading
> themes.
>  > > maybe 95% failure rate. When it suceeds it does not appear to be
> getting
>  > > the desired git commit (cached/old theme version?). When it
> suceeds and
>  > > i then delete the theme on the FE to retry, it will fail.
>  > >
>  > > What can i do to figure out whats going wrong?
>  > > i cant see much in the FE output using the '-v most' option
> hoping to
>  > > see something about a service or hostname being unavailable, but
> nothing
>  > > obvious. I'm at a bit of a loss figuring out how start figuring
> out
>  > > where the issue is.
>  > >
>  > > anyone able to help out?
>  > >
>  >
>  > Has this been happening for a while, or has it only started
> recently?
>  >
>  >
>  > Regards
>  > Stuart
>  >

> it's been happening for a while. Not sure when it started but i'd say
> a few months but only had a bit of time recently to start to poke
> around and take a look at it.
> since posting i've been having issues with my BE - looked like the
> boot SSD was having issues so new ssd, reinstall i hoped might fix -
> no luck, issue still occuring.
>
> any pointers for debugging this? cant find a way manually trigger or
> configuring logging options to investigate whats going on. theme
> download failure seems to happen early in the process so i'm thinking
> a corrupt file, unmet dependancy, DNS or firewall type issue.

It looks like all the theme related messages are gui:info so you need
to start mythfrontend with '-v gui'.  You can force a download of the
themes by removing the directory ~/.mythtv/cache/themechooser on the
frontend, and then going into Setup->Theme Chooser.

You can test for network issues by trying to download the themes file
by hand.  Try this:

    wget http://themes.mythtv.org/themes/repository/31/themes.zip

David