[mythtv-users] program guide empty

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Sun Aug 9 08:59:57 UTC 2020

Klaas de Waal <klaas.de.waal at gmail.com> wrote:

> Depending on where you live Schedules Direct might be available; this costs a small amount of money and some time to configure but will give you usually guide data for a longer time than EIT.

As a data point, SD gives between 2 and 3 weeks of data for UK Freeview - it's largely dependent of what the channels provide to SD. I've never regretted switching.

Klaus Becker <colonius47 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I tried EIT and I launched mythfilldatabase:

mythfilldatabase doesn't do anything for EIT data.

> The program guide is still empty

As you've found, it takes time.
EIT is transmitted alongside the program streams. In the Uk we're lucky in that it seems to be on all the muxes, but I gather in some places it's only on a subset. A tuner has to be active to collect this data - IIRC (not having used EIT for a long time) there's an option you can set for a tuner for it to be used for "active" EIT collection. I fyou use active collection, when a tuner is free, Myth will use it to tune into a mux and grab the EIT data from it.
Normally, "passive" EIT collection grabs the EIT that comes by when a tuner is being used for a recording - so until you record something, you may have no guide data at all.

Simon