[mythtv-users] FireWire channel changer crapped out

DryHeat122 dryheat122 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 19:19:17 UTC 2020

On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 4:44 PM Greg <gregl at nycap.rr.com> wrote:

> On 7/31/20 7:04 PM, John Hoyt wrote:
>
>  I'm fortunate enough to have another Ubuntu box, so I ordered an
>> inexpensive PCI-E firewire card for it, which allowed me to test.  On the
>> test box plugreport showed the set-top-box.  The card came with a full-size
>> to mini-size firewire cable, which I connected to the other 1394 socket on
>> my original machine, and voila, plugreport on that machine showed the
>> set-top-box.  So it seems that either the mini-size socket on my original
>> machine went bad, or the mini-to-mini cable went bad.  I have no idea how
>> that can happen to things sitting there undisturbed, but there you have
>> it.  So this is SOLVED.
>>

> Out of curiosity, what firewire card and more specifically what chipset is
> it using?
>
> In the past I could only ever get TI-based firewire chipsets to work
> reliably in Linux.  All of my current STBs have abandoned firewire, but
> knowing what cards work in Linux could be useful if I end up switching
> providers to ones with firewire in the future.  I found using the firewire
> channel changing far more reliable / easier to configure across OS upgrades
> than the lirc based approach I currently employ.

> I still use Firewire. The card in my machine is a Texas Instrument
> Tsb43ab23, thats what hardinfo reports.. The bad part of using FW is most
> STB's only have 1 fw port. You loose the ability to daisy chain. If some
> one has been able to run two stb's with single ports,I would love to hear
> about it....
>
> Lirc is a no go for me. I have tried many times,but fail every time.

Mine is

06:07.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB23 IEEE-1394a-2000
Controller (PHY/Link)

It has always worked fine for me until this socket or cable fail.
Fortunately the mobo has two connectors and the full-size one still
worked.  But for testing I got this PCI-E card on Amazon
<https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F67WJ9S> for $14.  It's got a VIA VT6306/7/8
chipset.  It connected to the STB fine as well.