[mythtv-users] rpi3 & v31 mythtv-light deb package

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 07:00:55 UTC 2020

On 26/04/2020 00:27, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 4/25/20 11:57 AM, Tim Draper wrote:
>> i've upgraded my mythtv deployment to v31 (from v30), BE first, then my Shield primary FE, and now the rpi3's.
>>
>> rpi3's are having major performance issues both in the menu and video playback. menu you can see the fade transitions stutter through and it's generally slow&laggy response. htop shows low CPU usage. Video playback is running maybe 1-2fps and maxes out all 4 cores.
>> v30 was viahttps://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV_Light. since there isnt an rpi3 specific build for v31 (and rpi specific codec has been depreciated in favour of v4l2, so i assume we're using a generic package now) i've installed the mythtv-light deb package:https://dl.bintray.com/bennettpeter/deb/pool/myth31/m/mythtv-light/:mythtv-light_31.0-16-ga465f1b03d-0_armhf_buster.deb  which is where i currently am.
>>
>> the playback profile has been updated to use v4l2 codec and both my rpi3's are codec licensed.
>>
>> is there a current v31 guide on rpi(3) deployment i've not found yet, or can anyone help out with suggestions on fixing this?
>>

> There are some v31 specific notes in the wiki, see this URL.
>
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi
>
> If you do a find on the page (ctrl-f) for v31 you can see the v31
> differences
>
> The main thing is, openmax is dead and you have to use v4l2. also you
> have to change your raspbian setup to use "Fake KMS". And you have to
> change raspbian to boot to the command line, and from command line run
>
> QT_QPA_PLATFORM=eglfs mythfrontend
>
> to start up the frontend.

I have a script which invokes mythfrontend on Raspberry Pi (2,3 or 4)
from console.

See https://github.com/MikeB2013/pi-utils/blob/master/run_mythfrontend.sh

The script, in brief:

takes account of which model Pi it is running on

sets performance mode

limits screen resolution (qt sets highest possible resolution for
connected hdmi device, which can be wrong

restores console operation after exit from mythfrontend (there is a bug
in qt which breaks console)

In mythfrontend setup when using v4l2 Codecs profiles make sure CPU is
set to 4.

Mike