[mythtv-users] rpi3 & v31 mythtv-light deb package

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 23:27:39 UTC 2020

On 4/25/20 11:57 AM, Tim Draper wrote:
> i've upgraded my mythtv deployment to v31 (from v30), BE first, then my Shield primary FE, and now the rpi3's.
>
> rpi3's are having major performance issues both in the menu and video playback. menu you can see the fade transitions stutter through and it's generally slow&laggy response. htop shows low CPU usage. Video playback is running maybe 1-2fps and maxes out all 4 cores.
> v30 was via https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV_Light. since there isnt an rpi3 specific build for v31 (and rpi specific codec has been depreciated in favour of v4l2, so i assume we're using a generic package now) i've installed the mythtv-light deb package: https://dl.bintray.com/bennettpeter/deb/pool/myth31/m/mythtv-light/:mythtv-light_31.0-16-ga465f1b03d-0_armhf_buster.deb which is where i currently am.
>
> the playback profile has been updated to use v4l2 codec and both my rpi3's are codec licensed.
>
> is there a current v31 guide on rpi(3) deployment i've not found yet, or can anyone help out with suggestions on fixing this?

There are some v31 specific notes in the wiki, see this URL.

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi

If you do a find on the page (ctrl-f) for v31 you can see the v31
differences

The main thing is, openmax is dead and you have to use v4l2. also you
have to change your raspbian setup to use "Fake KMS". And you have to
change raspbian to boot to the command line, and from command line run

QT_QPA_PLATFORM=eglfs mythfrontend

to start up the frontend.