[mythtv-users] VLANs, HDHomeruns and bears, oh my

Michael mythtv at blandford.net
Mon Apr 6 20:56:39 UTC 2020

On 4/6/20 11:51 AM, Charlie Myth wrote:
> ..talking of Edgreouter, could you use an Edgerouter X (~£50) and set
> that up to have separate networks with the Edgerouter routing
> appropriately between them and making use of its Firewall? It has 5
> ports which can each be on their own LAN with the firewall set up
> between them. There is a bit of a learning curve, but you can start
> off with the GUI.
>
> https://community.ui.com/questions/How-to-separate-LANs-in-GUI/652bdd69-fe9b-47c4-9537-5d7ccffd8738
>
> (and, not that I'm an expert, I thought Stephen's VLAN explanation was
> great - and they are worth investigating too)

Yes, you can absolutely do this, but then you have to have different
wired or wireless connections for each network.

With VLAN aware equipment you could have the router, a switch, and 1
wireless access point that handles multiple connections to various VLANs
without duplicating infrastructure.

Michael