[mythtv-users] Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: Mythfrontend freezing and VDPAU?

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 15:26:55 UTC 2020

On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 12:07 PM Allen Edwards <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Success!  Thanks so much for the help. There is no way I could have done
> this on my own.
>
> I put the whoami > wai.txt at the beginning of the script and found that
> wai.txt said 'dad' and there was a popup asking for my password. Then only
> half the script ran, which was disturbing. After adding dad to the
> sudoers.d file as suggested, and adding sudo to the key instruction I now
> find that pressing the button works and both halves of the script run.
>
> I have programmed a key on my remote to execute the script and have vdpau
> back for playback. Now I just have to wait a month or so for mythfrontend
> to lock up and really test this script. My only fear is that the underlying
> problem is that the video card is locking up and that it is not an OS
> problem and that this will not clear it. I will let you all know.
>
> Thanks again for your help.
>
> Just for the record, here is what I did. Note, I added mythtv in the
> sudoers.d/killgui file as part of my troubleshooting. I doubt it is
> necessary
>

> *dad at NewMyth:/usr/local/bin$ more killgui.sh#!/bin/bash        whoami >
> /home/dad/whi.txt         while [  true  ]; do                systemctl
> isolate multi-user.target                if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
>        systemctl isolate graphical.target                     exit 0
>         fi                sleep 1         done*
>

> *dad at NewMyth:/usr/local/bin$ ls -l killgui.sh-r-xr-x--- 1 root mythtv 246
> Mar  6 11:10 killgui.sh*
>

> *dad at NewMyth:/etc/sudoers.d$ more killguidad
> ALL=NOPASSWD:/usr/local/bin/killgui.shmythtv
> ALL=NOPASSWD:/usr/local/bin/killgui.sh*
>

> *dad at NewMyth:/etc/sudoers.d$ ls -l killgui-r--r----- 1 root mythtv 90 Mar
>  6 11:13 killgui*
>

> Modification of /home/dad/.mythtv/lircrc
>

> *begin    remote = N2QAHB000012    prog = irexec    button = Play+
> config =  sudo /usr/local/bin/killgui.sh &    repeat = 0    delay = 0end*
>
> Allen

Interesting that I said I would have to wait a month for the system to lock
up and test this script and it has been exactly a month. In any event, the
script worked and cleared the lock up in a very reasonable time certainly
under a minute. It has now been battle tested. All I had to do was remember
where I put the "kill" button on the remote but it was in an obvious place
and it worked.

Thanks once again to everyone who helped me get this working.

Allen