[mythtv-users] mythtv and iptv

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Apr 6 14:19:48 UTC 2020

On Mon, 6 Apr 2020 15:29:09 +0200, you wrote:

>Am 04.04.2020 um 17:17 schrieb Stephen Worthington:
>>
>> To have any idea about how to help, we would need to know much more
>> about your setup.  If it is using a .m3u file, then scanning is just
>> reading that file and creating the channels from it, so it does not do
>> any network connections to do that.  So scanning working does not mean
>> much in that case.  To see if redirection is happening, you can run
>> wireshark on your network connection and see what traffic happens when
>> you try to record.  If the URLs are HTTPS though, you can not see the
>> contents of the packets.  You will still see if it redirects to a
>> different IP address.
>
>Yes, I "scanned" channels with a .m3u file, but then I got the error
>messages posted in my first message.
>
>After upgrading to v31, I could watch live tv and change channels. So I
>assumed that if the new version was being able to stream data, it must
>have something to do with its new capabilities to deal with redirected urls.
>
>I will try to make sure the urls are redirected using wireshark (but I
>am not used to it).

Wireshark is a very useful tool for network problems, so it is worth
the effort to work out how to use it.  I could not live without it,
and I often see people asking about problems that would be easy to
resolve if they could use Wireshark (or tshark or tcpdump) to see the
traffic involved.  However not everyone wants to be an amateur network
engineer, or has the aptitude for it.  You do need a basic
understanding of networking and TCP/IP.