[mythtv-users] Mythweb versus Webfrontend

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 21:05:34 UTC 2020

On 4/2/20, jam at tigger.ws <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:

>> On 1 Apr 2020, at 8:00 pm, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
>>
>> These two projects aim to implement pretty much the same functionality,
>> correct? I realize one is more mature than the other and so may currently
>>
>> be more featureful. But the other should be just as feature-complete at
>> some point, correct?
>>
>> I also understand that one (Mythweb) relies on a web server being
>> installed and perhaps some related software like php, but that the other
>> (Webfrontend) does not have those additional dependencies, correct?
>>
>> I've still got Mythweb installed here along with its additional
>> dependencies but am considering getting rid of it and its dependencies if
>>
>> Webfrontend has all functionality I will need. Advice/input will be
>> appreciated.
>
> First a disclaimer: I'm the git who so rudely refered to the UI as pandering
> to the mobile phone set.
> It is not as bad as I made out, although I still don't like it.

This one caught my eye because there's a lot here that really made no
sense to me...see my inline replies:

> The webFrontend is a laudable effort and no doubt will 'get there' but is
> definitely 'not there yet'
> It has on several ocasions trashed my DB requiring a restore.
> It has on several ocasions messed up my schedule.

I have to admit, I haven't use webFrontend much and I'm not sure about
scheduling bugs, but especially when you refer to it "trashing" your
database and requiring a restore...that's wildly severe and frankly
very hard to believe, especially if it's using existing APIs. Are
there any bugs around that?

> I run SuSE on my backend and was not able to get mythweb to work so I run a
> VM running ubuntu solely to host mythweb.

I occasionally see people having a difficult time with mythweb and I
have a hard time figuring out why. What version of PHP was involved on
SuSE? I've never had issues with mythweb under Gentoo and currently
I'm using php 7.2. I'm not sure if mythweb has issues with 7.3 or
not(?).

> No-fumble setup a recording seems to always work.
> It is on a fumble where you delete then add a schedule where things go awry.
> I have both, use both, and am careful to avoid 'here be dragons' and would
> be lost without mythweb.
>
> Also IIRC Qt, webkit etc are going to affect webfrontend and how it is
> implimented as the exiting API is/will be depreciated.

You totally lost me there. QT webkit certainly has nothing whatsoever
to do with webfrontend, as webfrontend it totally browser based. In
fact I have MythTV installed using my own Gentoo ebuild where I've
done away with qtwebkit altogether and webfrontend works. What API are
you saying is deprecated, and how would that affect webfrontend?

> James

Tom