[mythtv-users] Major Upgrading...

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Sep 23 13:51:15 UTC 2019

On Sun, 22 Sep 2019 17:45:49 -0500, you wrote:

>On 9/22/2019 1:02 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>>   If you want to
>> try this, I would recommend doing an image backup of your current
>> system first, using a tool like Clonezilla.  Then if anything goes
>> wrong, you just do a Clonezilla restore and try again.
>>
>> How much RAM does the PC have?  Later versions of Ubuntu need more
>> RAM, so you do need at least 4 Gibytes to run MythTV comfortably now,
>> and if you have a larger database, I would recommend 8 Gibytes.
>

>I was thinking of pairing it with a HD upgrade. I'm currently on 2x1TB.
>Cloning onto the newer drive first and then attempting upgrades on there
>may be the way forward then. I'm pretty sure I'm already at 8GB.

If you do want to do the upgrade in place path, then investing in a
good SSD for the system drive will make the process *much* faster.  I
was very pleasantly surprised at just how fast an Ubuntu upgrade would
run after I put in a Samsung 950 Pro M.2 drive in my MythTV box, even
though it needs PCIe V3 for full speed an my motherboard is only PCIe
V2.0