[mythtv-users] Raspberry Pi 4B jitter

John jksjdevelop at gmail.com
Sat Sep 21 07:15:32 UTC 2019

On 20/09/2019 19:39, James Abernathy wrote:

> On 9/20/19 1:31 PM, Josh Rosenberg wrote:
>> Hey, all. I just set up my new Raspberry Pi 4 4GB as a frontend, and
>> I'm a bit disappointed in performance. You can notice jitter easily
>> on sports programs of all sorts (most often during camera panning),
>> in news crawls at the bottom of the screen (most of the time, but
>> you'll occasionally get a second of smooth performance), and so on.
>> In fact, it's pretty similar to an old post of mine when I described
>> the same behavior on a then-new Raspberry Pi 3B:
>> https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/users/603845
>>
>> I'm using mythtv-light on Raspbian, with a 256MB GPU memory split
>> (though I'm led to believe this doesn't matter anymore), and OpenMAX
>> Normal for playback. (There is no OpenMAX High available.) Of note is
>> that there is plenty of free memory and idle CPU capacity while the
>> playback is jittering!
>>
>> My questions are:
>>
>> 1. Does anyone see better performance on their Raspberry Pi, and if
>> so, what are you doing differently?
>>
>> 2. Does anyone see better performance using one of the other
>> "standard hardware" solutions, such as the Shield or the Fire Stick
>> 4K? If so, do you think it's worth buying that hardware? Have you
>> ever compared it to RPi performance?
>>
>> I'm really trying to move off of the cheap slim-form-factor PC I
>> bought off ebay a few years ago, but at least that PC has VDPAU,
>> which is the only thing I've ever used for consistently smooth playback.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Josh
>> mythtv at desh.info <mailto:mythtv at desh.info>
>>
> I'm using 320MB GPU memory split and I don't notice much of any
> problems on my 4GB RP4.
>
> Jim A

Using high quality software decode with linear de-interlace gives me
smoother playback than using Openmax but it suffers from slight tearing.
I am sure things will get better when the graphics drivers on the Pi4
get updated. Currently though I agree that the Pi4 is a great backend
but at present 1080i 50Hz is not perfect.