[mythtv-users] Disk filled up unexpectedly - Auto-expire not working?

Will Dormann wdormann at gmail.com
Sun Sep 15 21:39:11 UTC 2019

Recently my MythTV box stopped being able to watch live TV (as it was
watching live TV), and after a bit of poking around I tracked it down to
one of my partitions filling up.  I was under the impression that MythTV
would have done a little bit better at preventing this from happening.

My system has two storage groups:   One small one on a local SSD, and
another much-larger one on a NAS.  Looking at the auto-expire settings
<https://i.imgur.com/hVzhkOb.png>, I don't see anything out of the ordinary.

I see recordings on the SSD that go back to 2016 that are still on the
SSD.   And looking at MythWeb I see that they're set to Auto-expire
(based on the clock icon and associated tooltip).

My impression was that MythTV, as it was watching live TV and the
SSD-based storage group dropped below 10GB free space, should have
expired some of those old recordings to ensure that the storage group
wouldn't fill up.  But it did not do this.

Are my expectations of how auto-expire work not mapping up with reality?
 Or is there perhaps something interfering with auto-expire on my system?

Thanks!
-WD