[mythtv-users] mysql 8 grant statements syntax change (just info not a problem)

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 16:56:20 UTC 2019

> On Tue, 29 Oct 2019 11:15:09 +0000, you wrote:
>
>> Just for info and save others googling.
>>
>> The SQL GRANT statement has changed syntax in mysql 8.
>>
>> So statements like
>>
>> GRANT ALL ON mythconverg.* TO mythtv at localhost IDENTIFIED BY "password";
>>
>> Have to be done in two steps.
>>
>> CREATE USER 'mythtv'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'password';
>>
>> GRANT ALL ON mythconverg.* TO 'mythtv'@'localhost';
>>
>> As the old syntax is all over MythTV help info expect a lot of confused
>> people
> Is MariaDB making the same changes?

Xubuntu 19.10 has mysql-server version 8.0.17 whilst mariadb-server is
10.3.17-1, so mariadb has not yet changed (don't know if it will).

i have just run a test on a clean install of mythtv (frontend/backend)
from ubuntu repository (older version of mythtv 30) with mariab-server
which works ok.

Using mysql-server 8 there are a host of problems starting with the
mythtv install not creating mythtv user and password for mythconverg
database, after fixing that manually, the mythconverg upgrade to latest
schema fails when running mythtv-setup, at which point I gave up with
mysql 8!

So anyone using *ubuntu 19.10  for a clean install of mythtv
(frontend/backend) would be well advised to install mariadb-server
before installing mythtv, or better still use *ubuntu 18.04 LTS, as non
LTS versions go EOL after 9 months.

I was only trying Xubuntu 19.10 as it has a later version of hdhomerun
libraries - I have random segmentation fault during channel scanning of
a SiliconDust HDHomerun CONNECT QUATRO (Model: HDHR5-4DT, Firmware:
20190621) under Xubuntu 18.04 LTS and Raspian Buster, both of which have
the same older hdhomerun libraries.

Mike