[mythtv-users] mythtv-users] Old Mac Mini vs RPI as frontend/backend

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sat Oct 26 15:54:41 UTC 2019

> On Oct 26, 2019, at 11:42 AM, Mike Bibbings <mike.bibbings at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 26/10/2019 15:23, jam at tigger.ws <mailto:jam at tigger.ws> wrote:
>>
>>> On 26 Oct 2019, at 8:00 pm, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a 2009 Macmini running Ubuntu serving as both a front and back
>>> end for Myth, with a very large USB drive for the media. As far as the
>>> backend it runs well despite having accumulated years of database
>>> entries, and the frontend works well because of the Nvidia 9400M. It
>>> also has 8GB of ram
>>>
>>> However, the internal drive does have some bad blocks, and I'm thinking
>>> its time to move on. I also hate jumping through hoops with refind and
>>> its booting scheme to work around Old mac firmware.
>>>
>>> Would an RPI 4 be an adequate substitute?
>>>
>>> The maximum 4GB of Ram seems like it could be a problem for the backend
>>> functions, like mythcommflag, running concurrently with the frontend. I
>>> also don't know how the Myth GPU support for RPI stacks up against
>>> Nvidia 9400M/VDPAU
>> I found it quite easy to replace the HD with a 1T SSD. Like a new one it was.
>> Ive not investigated yet but my rapi on usb3 ssd (where it did 500M io) trashed an ext4 SSD after a week or so. ;-(. I’ve ordered and will play with a rock pi 4M. It does 1200M to a nvme m2
>>
>> James
>

> There is an issue with some USB 3 to SATA converters on Pi4 which can result in disk corruption and/or terrible read/write speeds see https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=3221&start=15#p15760 <https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=3221&start=15#p15760>
>
> I also thought it might have damaged the disk, but a full reformat restored the disk for me.
>
> There is a utility which will give a whole load of data about the disk, available for linux 32/64 bit and arm architectures see https://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_sentinel_linux.php <https://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_sentinel_linux.php>
>

> Mike

I read the same issue about some USB3-SATA converters so I picked a recommended one from Startech. Amazon link below:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HJZJI84/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 <https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HJZJI84/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1>

Jim A