[mythtv-users] Old Mac Mini vs RPI as frontend/backend

Ken Mandelberg km at mathcs.emory.edu
Fri Oct 25 18:13:20 UTC 2019

I have a 2009 Macmini running Ubuntu serving as both a front and back
end for Myth, with a very large USB drive for the media. As far as the
backend it runs well despite having accumulated years of database
entries, and the frontend works well because of the Nvidia 9400M. It
also has 8GB of ram

However, the internal drive does have some bad blocks, and I'm thinking
its time to move on. I also hate jumping through hoops with refind and
its booting scheme to work around Old mac firmware.

Would an RPI 4 be an adequate substitute?

The maximum 4GB of Ram seems like it could be a problem for the backend
functions, like mythcommflag, running concurrently with the frontend. I
also don't know how the Myth GPU support for RPI stacks up against
Nvidia 9400M/VDPAU

Suggestions?