[mythtv-users] New Nvidia Shield TV Pro

Tom Harris thom.j.harris at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 01:24:35 UTC 2019

I recently moved from a FireTV 4K stick to the new Shield Pro (box, not
tube).

As expected, it works great with Peter’s latest 64 bit 0.31 build.
I moved on from the FIre TV mainly because I dislike its home screen menu.
But, the shield is much faster, more responsive, and more reliable than the
Fire TV — definitely a nice upgrade.

A note on setup:  Following the wiki, I initially set MPEG2 to use the
standard decoder.  But, audio was unreliable in this mode.  It would
sometimes fail to resume audio after skip ahead/back.  I switched to
MediaCodec, and both audio and video are great — I don’t see any of the
video issues mentioned in the wiki.

The Fire TV Stick 4k was not bad, and it’s quite a bargain.  But, for me
the Shield is the best frontend available today.