[mythtv-users] Trouble with recording groups

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 13:04:57 UTC 2019

On 08/11/2019 13:16, Stephan Seitz wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have two DVB-S tuners in one recording group and two DVB-C tuners in
> another group.
> Each group has different channel numbers, but the channel names are the
> same. Each group uses the EPG data of its tuners.
>
> Normaly I only use the DVB-S group. Power Rules are pinned to the DVB-S
> group.
>
> Sometimes it can happen that two tuners are not enough. What I like to
> do then: I’ll go to the programme guide and choose the show from the
> channel number of the DVB-C group (record only once). But for some
> reasons this is not really working. The conflict stays. I don’t know if
> MythTV is internally using channel names (and not channel numbers).
>
> How do I move a recording for one time from one recording group to another?

I take it that there are channels that are available on both DVB-S and
DVB-C. You should assign the same xmltv IDs to those channels across the
two input sources, so that the same guide data is loaded for both
instances of that channel, and you should also assign them the same
channel numbers and callsigns, so that the scheduler sees them as one
and the same channel.

I further take it that you prefer recording from DVB-S over recording
from DVB-C. You can achieve that by assigning appropriate scheduler
order values to each tuner.

Worked example (using database terminology because I can't open
mythtv-setup at the moment):

I have two sources (two tuners each connected to a set-top box and
recording analogue video/audio from it, and four DVB-C tuners). The
channels available via DVB-C are a small subset of those available via
the STBs, but the DVB-C recording quality is much better. So I prefer to
record via DVB-C, and fall back to the STBs for channels that are not
available via DVB-C or in the unlikely event that I run out of DVB-C tuners.

To achieve this I have assigned low capturecard.schedorder values to the
DVB-C tuners, and higher values to the STB tuners. The same guide data
is loaded into both video sources, the channums and callsigns are the
same across both sources, and the recording rules do not specify which
source to record from. I also have a higher capturecard.recpriority for
the DVB-C tuners than for the STB tuners, but I don't know how this
affects things.

HTH, Jan