[mythtv-users] Mac media keys

Yeechang Lee ylee at columbia.edu
Mon Nov 4 05:21:29 UTC 2019

I use the prebuilt 0.28 Mac frontend at
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/mythtvformacosx/files/> on Mojave. I
a Bluetooth speaker paired to the computer, so that when I turn it on
I can listen to its audio.

The speaker has three buttons that work like the Mac keyboard media
keys (play/pause, previous track, next track). Since High Sierra,
MacOS lets the media keys be used outside iTunes; they work in Safari
and Chrome's video playback, for example. I would like to use the
speaker's buttons, and by extension the Mac media keys, within
MythFrontend.

I've tried the following with MythFrontend:

* Setup | Edit Keys does not work; MacOS intercepts media keys and
  passes them to the most recently used media keys-compatible
  application. Manually adding "Media Play" to the TV Playback | PAUSE
  keybinding via MythWeb did not work.

* The same OS interception occurs in BetterTouchTool, so I can't
  create a custom keyboard shortcut there.

* Karabiner Elements doesn't let me set application-specific bindings,
  and setting it globally showed that MacOS still intercepts media
  keys, anyway.

The best solution would be to connect MacOS's media key support to
MythFrontend, but I don't know if that's configurable on the OS side,
or if MythFrontend needs explicit support. (If this exists post-0.28,
let me know.)

--
Frontend:		Apple MacBook Pro 2012 2.6GHz with 1TB SSD
Backend:		HP Microserver N40L 1.5GHz with 4x3TB HDDs