[mythtv-users] BE3 - Issues with installation and database

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Fri May 31 16:45:18 UTC 2019

Hi Stephen!

See what the output of these two commands is:

*fc-list | grep -i droid*
*locate DroidSans.ttf*

    barry at Backend-3:~$ fc-list | grep -i droid

    /usr/share/fonts/truetype/droid/DroidSansFallbackFull.ttf: Droid
    Sans Fallback:style=Regular

    barry at Backend-3:~$

    barry at Backend-3:~$

    barry at Backend-3:~$ locate DroidSans.ttf

    /usr/share/mythtv/fonts/DroidSans.ttf

    barry at Backend-3:~$

    So the good news is I have the fonts, or at least that font; the bad
    news is it wasn’t installed. (Tangential side note: I seem to
    remember similar “font not installed” errors on the old
    Backends/Frontends – old problem with installation instructions?
    Backend-3 is a brand-new from-scratch install.)

Yes, you now need to use mythtv-setup to change the master backend IP
address to 192.168.0.3 if it is still on 127.0.0.1. Now that the fix for
booting after the network is up is in place, that should work properly.

    I’ll admit that ‘should’ is scaring me a little! Here goes!

    mythtv-setup. Change at “General”. Exit (that long pause <whimper!>
    mythfilldatabase

    mythfrontend (on BE3) : OK, still seeing the correct displays:
    Medial Library > Watch Recordings > shows are there.

    OK, now the big test: checking on a Remote Fronted (RPi 3 B+)…

    Super-long pause at GEC Adapter, turn TV on – I’ll have to look in
    to that.)

    Wohoo! BE3 stuff displays!

    Ah poo! I see the TV programmes listed but select and get

    Can’t start playback

    TV Player

    Failed to open remote file mytht://

    backend-3/<file number>.ts

    Reboot the RPi; try again. Same error.

    (That recording does play properly on BE3’s Frontend).

    Reboot BE3. ...Test, its Frontend still works.

    RPi Frontend – same error.

    https://pastebin.com/q3Msyr49

Yes, you can move the database across to BE3.  If you want to shut
down BE2 permanently, then that is probably the easiest thing to do -
just do a backup of the BE2 database, copy the backup file to BE3, and
then restore the database on BE3 using the hostname change options of
the restore program to change all the hostname bits in the backup to
BE3.  Then when MythTV is started again, it will see an old database
schema and will upgrade it automatically to v30.  You need to copy or
move all the recording files across (maybe just move the recording
drives of BE2 into the BE3 PC?).  Doing it this way keeps all the
information about old recordings and all your recording rules.
However, if the tuners are different in BE3, you will need to set them
all up again, as the BE2 database will be set up for BE2's tuners. And
you will need to make sure the tuner setup you do matches what BE2 had
so that the recording rules still work.  All of that is a very viable
thing to do, but it really depends on what you want out of BE3. Since
keeping all the recording history is very important to me, this is the
path I would be choosing.

    OK, part of this answer is based on reading the next section. BE3
    uses the ‘new and improved’ Hauppauge 1609 quad tuner while (BE1
    and) BE2 use the older Hauppauge 1600 and 2250 tuners. While it
    would be nice to ‘simply’ transfer over the old database and
    re-install the new tuner data I’m thinking with all the problem we
    have the potential for error isn’t worth the minor inconvenience of
    deleting a previously recorded show. ...

Alternatively, if you just want to move the recordings across, I have
software that can do that (mythexport and mythimport).  But doing it
for a large number of recordings could be pretty tedious.  And as I
have not yet upgraded to v30 (which I hope to do this week), I have
not tested mythexport and mythimport with v30 yet.  I would also need
to check that exporting from v28 to v30 was OK - the database entries
for the recording tables would need to match.  I believe v28 to v29 is
OK, and I have not heard of anything in v30 that would be
problematical, but until I have v30 running I can not be sure.  If
necessary I can probably do a modified version of mythexport that
would do a full export of all recordings, which would get rid of the
tedious bits.
  - -
Since I wrote the above yesterday, I have been able to do my v30
upgrade.  So in the next couple of days I should be able to test (and
if necessary fix) my mythexport and mythimport software.

    OK – thanks (again!!). I’m thinking between the two options the
    safer one for me is this one (move the recordings across:
    mythexport/mythimport). I had a thought of potentially copying the
    shows to Videos, perhaps a subdirectory of each show series and the
    dump the shows in there. Would probably just show the date and the
    show number. I bet your utility is a lot better!

    Worst comes to worse (which isn’t all that bad) is switching between
    two Frontends, one to BE3 (the new one) and BE2 (the old one)

    TIA!
    Barry