[mythtv-users] gaps 1.4 released (Mythtv v30 compatibility)

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri May 31 07:42:27 UTC 2019

I have just finished upgrading from v29 to v30, so I have been
checking my Python programs for compatibility.  My "gaps" program for
finding gaps between recordings did not work with v30, so I have now
updated it to use the new Python services_api bindings instead of the
old Utilities.py module.  This was a very small change - there is no
changed functionality.  It can be downloaded from here:

http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/gaps

V1.4 of "gaps" is only compatible with MythTV v30 onwards, as it
relies on the new services_api bindings.  However, this page:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Python_API_Examples

says that you can install the services_api bindings yourself for use
in 0.28 of v29.  Or if you are already using gaps v1.3 with
Utilities.py on 0.28 or v29, just keep using that until you upgrade to
v30.

To install "gaps" on Ubuntu (or any distro that uses /usr/local/bin),
do this:

sudo su
cd /usr/local/bin
wget -c http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/gaps
chown root:root gaps
chmod u=rwx,g=rx,o=rx gaps
exit

stephen at mypvr:~$ gaps -h
usage: gaps [-h] [-V] [-n HOST] [-p PORT] [hours] [minutes]

Find gaps in the MythTV recording schedule (Version: 1.4)

positional arguments:
  hours        Minimum gap duration to search for, in hours (floating
point
               allowed)
  minutes      Minimum gap duration to search for, in minutes
(floating point
               allowed)

optional arguments:
  -h, --help   show this help message and exit
  -V, --version
               display the version number and exit
  -n HOST, --host HOST
               MythTV backend hostname (default: mypvr)
  -p PORT, --port PORT
               MythTV backend API port number (default: 6544)

Note that "gaps" will automatically look up your config.xml file and
access your database to find the hostname and port to connect to.  So
in the above help, the "(default: mypvr)" and "(default: 6544)" are
the results of that lookup.  They will be different on your system. If
you want to connect to a different backend, use the --host and --port
options.