[mythtv-users] Hauppauge 1609 and Pixelation Tests

jam at tigger.ws jam at tigger.ws
Thu May 30 12:34:43 UTC 2019

>> help solve pixelation issues I have been having (re-)using my old Hauppauge
>> 1600 and 2250 tuners. My theory was newer television tuners seem to be
>> better at recovering from signal drops so since the 1609 was new maybe it
>> would be better also. The 1600 and 2250 tuners give satisfactory results
>> except when it is windy outside; I also have to have the antenna in the
>> storage area (attic) else one piddled-off S.O.!

>> works! It is somewhat windy today and the initial testing displayed a rare
>> minor pixelation with the two weakest stations whereas with the other
>> tuners the signal would have probably been highly distorted and possibly
>> unwatchable. What I need is a good storm to really test ? we?ll get one! I
>> can also increase the signal strength by approximately 7 dB by removing a
>> 4-way splitter that was feeding a pair of 1600 tuners and a 2250 tuner in
>> the old Backend.
>>>

>>> Regarding antenna placement, signal strength, splitting, pre-amp and
>> amplification, the OTA forums on digitalhome.ca are an excellent resource.
>>>
>>> There are some very knowledgeable people frequenting those forums.
>>

>> There seems to be no logic
>>
>> I?ve an external yagi, powered signal spliier, am 25Km from transmitter.
>>
>> I?ve used with varing degress of pixelation
>> Leadtech (usb)
>> HD homerun quad (network)
>> Haupauge Nova T (usb)
>>
>> now using the new Haupauge Win TV (usb) and neary a block or stripe. Same
>> setup. The worst was unwatchable.
>> One would expect small differences between tuners not MAJOR ones. I?m now
>> using 2 of these with same results so not a fluke.
>> Terry Pratchette: The chance of a million to one event happening is 9 in
>> 10.
>
> Hi James,
>
> I was hoping you could clarify your findings... Are you saying that the
> 1609 tuners are working better, or worse than the other tuners?
>
> I am confused because  you say there was neary a block or stripe, but then
> you say the worst was unwatchable....
>
> I currently am using the Haup. 2255 tuners, but am thinking of upgrading to
> the 1609 if it's really better, which a previous email on the list seemed
> to indicate.

My wife berates me for talking funny! My appologies.

I’ve tried lots of tuners, the worst of which was unwatchable on the worst channel on HD
Without changing anything in the signal path I’m now using the Haupague Win TV usb tuners.
I’ve not seen a single block or stripe since getting them.

[sandypit] /home/jam [921]% lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:8000 Intel Corp.
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 2040:0265 Hauppauge
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 2040:0265 Hauppauge

James