[mythtv-users] BE3 - Issues with installation and database

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun May 26 15:13:18 UTC 2019

On Sun, 26 May 2019 08:56:31 -0500, you wrote:

>Hi Stephen and Bill!
>

>cat //home/mythtv//.mythtv/config.xml
>
>I suspect that the value of <Host> is an IP address. For a master
>backend, it should be localhost.
[snip]
>    FWIW I decided to check my config.xml’s just in case something was
>    altered. Have five – Backend 1 and 2 I think had only two, maybe three:
>

>    barry at Backend-3:~$ find / -iname config.xml 2>/dev/null
>
>    /etc/mythtv/config.xml
>
>    /home/barry/.mythtv/config.xml
>
>    /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml
>
>    /usr/share/doc/mythtv-backend/contrib/config_files/config.xml
>
>    /usr/share/mythtv/config.xml
>
>    barry at Backend-3:~$
>

>    So:
>
>    barry at Backend-3:~$ cat /etc/mythtv/config.xml
>
>    <Configuration>
>
>    <Database>
>
>    <PingHost>1</PingHost>
>
>    <Host>192.168.0.3</Host>

As long as you have the Ethernet cable out, this will not work.  It is
correct for a config.xml on another PC where you want mythfrontend to
connect to this backend, but it would be better to be changed to
localhost in all config.xml files on the backend PC.

>    <UserName>mythtv</UserName>
>
>    <Password>Z******S</Password>
>
>    <DatabaseName>mythconverg</DatabaseName>
>
>    <Port>3306</Port>
>
>    </Database>
>
>    <WakeOnLAN>
>
>    <Enabled>0</Enabled>
>
>    <SQLReconnectWaitTime>0</SQLReconnectWaitTime>
>
>    <SQLConnectRetry>5</SQLConnectRetry>
>
>    <Command>echo 'WOLsqlServerCommand not set'</Command>
>
>    </WakeOnLAN>
>
>    </Configuration>
>

>    barry at Backend-3:~$ cat /home/barry/.mythtv/config.xml
>
>    is the same with this added line near the end:
>
>    </WakeOnLAN>
>
>    <LocalHostName></LocalHostName>
>
>    </Configuration>
>

>    In past versions (used by Backend 1 and 2 here) assigning a name to
>    the Backend’s built-in Frontend caused lots of problems and so
>    should be left blank per Curtis Gedakc and others.

I have never used the LocalHostName field, and it is safe to just
leave that field out of the config.xml file if you want to.  Or leave
it empty.  I think I know what you might want to use it for, but no
ordinary user needs it.

>    barry at Backend-3:~$ cat /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml
>
>    Eyeballing appears to duplicate /etc/mythtv/config.xml

No need to eyeball - use diff:

diff -u /etc/mythtv/config.xml /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml

>    barry at Backend-3:~$ cat
>    /usr/share/doc/mythtv-backend/contrib/config_files/config.xml

As you may guess from the name of the directory, /usr/share/doc
contains documentation files, including example files.  So
/usr/share/doc/mythtv-backend/contrib/config_files/config.xml is just
an example file that is never used by MythTV but is available if you
need something as a reference point.

The /usr/share/mythtv/config.xml file may be used by MythTV when it
initialises itself when the packages are installed and /etc/mythtv is
created, but it is not used at run time, and never needs to be edited.