[mythtv-users] BE3 - Issues with installation and database

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Sun May 26 13:56:31 UTC 2019

Hi Stephen and Bill!

cat //home/mythtv//.mythtv/config.xml

I suspect that the value of <Host> is an IP address. For a master
backend, it should be localhost.

No, I would disagree with that. If you want the backend to be accessible
to an external frontend, you normally want the address in config.xml to
be the external address of the PC. It does work if the address in
backend PC's config.xml files is localhost, but then you can not just
copy the config.xml file to another PC and have it work there when you
tell mythfrontend to use it. I always get caught by that if I use
localhost in config.xml. And if the database is supposed to be
accessible from the PC's external IP address,
connecting to it that way on the backend PC is a good check that it
actually is externally accessible.

    FWIW I decided to check my config.xml’s just in case something was
    altered. Have five – Backend 1 and 2 I think had only two, maybe three:

    barry at Backend-3:~$ find / -iname config.xml 2>/dev/null

    /etc/mythtv/config.xml

    /home/barry/.mythtv/config.xml

    /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml

    /usr/share/doc/mythtv-backend/contrib/config_files/config.xml

    /usr/share/mythtv/config.xml

    barry at Backend-3:~$

    So:

    barry at Backend-3:~$ cat /etc/mythtv/config.xml

    <Configuration>

    <Database>

    <PingHost>1</PingHost>

    <Host>192.168.0.3</Host>

    <UserName>mythtv</UserName>

    <Password>Z******S</Password>

    <DatabaseName>mythconverg</DatabaseName>

    <Port>3306</Port>

    </Database>

    <WakeOnLAN>

    <Enabled>0</Enabled>

    <SQLReconnectWaitTime>0</SQLReconnectWaitTime>

    <SQLConnectRetry>5</SQLConnectRetry>

    <Command>echo 'WOLsqlServerCommand not set'</Command>

    </WakeOnLAN>

    </Configuration>

    barry at Backend-3:~$ cat /home/barry/.mythtv/config.xml

    is the same with this added line near the end:

    </WakeOnLAN>

    <LocalHostName></LocalHostName>

    </Configuration>

    In past versions (used by Backend 1 and 2 here) assigning a name to
    the Backend’s built-in Frontend caused lots of problems and so
    should be left blank per Curtis Gedakc and others.

    barry at Backend-3:~$ cat /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml

    Eyeballing appears to duplicate /etc/mythtv/config.xml

    barry at Backend-3:~$ cat
    /usr/share/doc/mythtv-backend/contrib/config_files/config.xml

    Appears to be the template:

    <Configuration>

    <LocalHostName>my-unique-identifier-goes-here</LocalHostName>

    <Database>

    <PingHost>1</PingHost>

    <Host>127.0.0.1</Host>

    <UserName>mythtv</UserName>

    <Password>mythtv</Password>

    etc.

    Now this one I’m questioning, partially because of in what directory
    it is and the contents:

    barry at Backend-3:~$ cat /usr/share/mythtv/config.xml

    <Configuration>

    <LocalHostName>my-unique-identifier-goes-here</LocalHostName>

    <Database>

    <PingHost>1</PingHost>

    <Host>127.0.0.1</Host>

    <UserName>mythtv</UserName>

    <Password>mythtv</Password>

    <DatabaseName>mythconverg</DatabaseName>

    <Port>3306</Port>

    </Database>

    <WakeOnLAN>

    <Enabled>0</Enabled>

    <SQLReconnectWaitTime>0</SQLReconnectWaitTime>

    <SQLConnectRetry>5</SQLConnectRetry>

    <Command>echo 'WOLsqlServerCommand not set'</Command>

    </WakeOnLAN>

    </Configuration>

    It seems to be ignored, or overwritten by one of config’s above.
    Just being in /usr/share/mythtv seems like it should have the
    proper/user-configured fields.

    LIS the main reason for me checking the config.xml’s was to make
    sure they were still correct.

    TIA!

    Barry