[mythtv-users] BE3 - Issues with installation and database

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat May 25 16:47:52 UTC 2019

On Sat, 25 May 2019 08:48:49 -0500, you wrote:

>On 5/25/19 7:00 AM, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
>> Yes, it should be OK to run mythtv-setup now.  I can not remember if
>> you have any networked tuners though - if you do, then to make sure
>> mythbackend can see them when it starts up, you will need to do the
>> same fix that is needed for mythbackend to only start after the
>> network is fully up.  In the mean time, if would pay to simply restart
>> mythbackend manually after bootup is complete:
>>
>> sudo systemctl restart mythtv-backend
>
>That just went back to the terminal prompt immediately.  (I'm thinking
>there should be at least a little delay while the command processes.)

Restart commands can come back to the prompt pretty rapidly depending
on what program you are restarting.  Mythbackend is not normally that
fast, so it is probably not running.  As usual, to see the status of
mythbackend, do:

sudo systemctl status mythtv-backend

To see the full log of the last run of mythbackend, run this command:

less /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log

Inside less, do a G command to go to the last line of the file (that
can take a little while if the log file is large), then use the
reverse search command ? to go back to where mythbackend logged its
first line when it started:

?d version:

Then look forwards from there to see what happened.

>Internal tuners – a HVR 1609. (Get this corrected so I can report back
>and finish that thread!)
>
>Did run *mythtv-setup* (at Terminal), goes to the Country/Language
>screen, select and save, bounces me out to the “Would you like to start
>the mythtv backend” popup windows (at desktop.
>

>I need to find the logging command and post. All that stays up is what I
>posted to Bill. Means something, but bet there’s detailed info in what
>flashes up.

If you run mythtv-setup from a terminal, the log for mythtv-setup is
sent to the terminal window.  You can scroll it back to see what
happened, and can select the text with the cursor if you want to copy
and paste it into pastebin.  When the cursor hits the bottom of the
window, the window should continue to scroll down and keep on
selecting text until you release the left mouse button.

Or you can run mythtv-setup in a way that gets it to send the output
to a file:

mythtv-setup 2>&1 | tee mythtv-setup.log

The 2>&1 redirects any output from stderr to stdout, and the | tee
copies the stdout text to both the screen and to the file.

>More later!
>
>Barry

It looks like I messed up the ownership of do_mythconverg.sh in the
commands I sent you.  It should have had the group "mythtv", not
"root".  This should fix it and make do_mythconverg.sh work:

sudo chown root:mythtv /usr/local/bin/do_mythconverg.sh

What that does is to put it in a group that your "barry" user also
belongs to, so that "barry" can run it using group permissions, as can
any other user that you add to the "mythtv" group.

The error message about mysql_tzinfo_to_sql that you are getting in
mythbackend.log (and likely from mythtv-setup as well) is telling you
that the MySQL timezone support is not set up.  This page tells you
how to fix that:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MySQL_Time_Zone_Tables