[mythtv-users] BE3 - Issues with installation and database

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Fri May 24 20:51:54 UTC 2019

Hi Stephen!

sudo restart mythtv-backend

Found another potential error, or could be just a shortcut command I
don?t have installed:

barry at Backend-3:~$ sudo restart mythtv-backend

sudo: restart: command not found
Sorry, that was a typo on my part.  It should be:

sudo systemctl restart mythtv-backend

    Oops! I might have caught the error if you did what I do often: add
    an ‘r’ ==> “systemct*r*l”!

OK, that all looks good except for not being able to connect to
MariaDB on 192.168.0.3.  That is likely only that you have not yet
changed the bind-address= line in the MariaDB config files, so it is
only allowing connections on localhost.  So you need to fix that now.
Do this to find all the bind-address lines:

sudo su
cd /etc/mysql
grep -ar "bind-address" *

There may be more than one bind-address line.  If so, choose one of
them and change it to:

bind-address=::

and change all the others by adding a # character as the first
character on the line (comment them out).  Use your favourite editor,
or nano.

    OK. I’m taking things too literal here and realizing a problem. *cd
    /etc/mysql* changes to a directory and there are several files and
    subir’s within. (*grep -ar* command) ...Ah! So sort of like the find
    command!

    barry at Backend-3:~$ cd /etc/mysql

    barry at Backend-3:/etc/mysql$ ls

    conf.d debian.cnf-5.7 mariadb.cnf my.cnf mysql.cnf

    debian.cnf debian-start mariadb.conf.d my.cnf.fallback mysql.conf.d

    barry at Backend-3:/etc/mysql$

    This is the original:

    root at Backend-3:/etc/mysql# grep -ar "bind-address" *

    conf.d/mythtv.cnf:#bind-address=::

    mariadb.conf.d/50-server.cnf:bind-address = 127.0.0.1

    mysql.conf.d/mysqld.cnf:bind-address = 127.0.0.1

    root at Backend-3:/etc/mysql#

    And the one with the double colon is commented out. Think I’ll
    uncomment that one and comment the two with 127.0.0.1.

    root at Backend-3:/etc/mysql# grep -ar "bind-address" *

    conf.d/mythtv.cnf:bind-address=::

    mariadb.conf.d/50-server.cnf:# bind-address = 127.0.0.1

    mysql.conf.d/mysqld.cnf:# bind-address = 127.0.0.1

    root at Backend-3:/etc/mysql#

Then restart MariaDB:

systemctl restart mariadb

and exit from the root command prompt:

exit

Now check that you can connect using 192.168.0.3:

mysql -u mythtv -p mythconverg

and give it the password from /etc/mythtv/config.xml.

    barry at Backend-3:/etc/mysql$ mysql -u mythtv -p mythconverg

    Enter password:

    Welcome to the MariaDB monitor. Commands end with ; or \g.

    Your MariaDB connection id is 109

    Server version: 10.1.38-MariaDB-0ubuntu0.18.04.2 Ubuntu 18.04

    Copyright (c) 2000, 2018, Oracle, MariaDB Corporation Ab and others.

    Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input
    statement.

    MariaDB [mythconverg]>

    This looks better!! :)

Will check out your credentials-checking script.

… Hmm: is it safe to try to configure the Backend? Think I’ll upload
this port and then take a celebratory break.

Thanks!

Barry