[mythtv-users] A test for anyone using vdpau on 32-bit x86, especially with 30.0

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Thu May 23 18:29:25 UTC 2019

On 5/23/19, Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/23/19 8:57 AM, Tom Dexter wrote:

>>> _>_
>>> Hi Tom,
>>> I have two ASRock ION 330HT
>>> https://www.asrock.com/nettop/NVIDIA/ION%20330HT/
>>> and I can reproduce the fallback to software decoded video, or better an
>>> flip-book @ 10
>>> frames per sec.
>>> 1. ION is 18.04 Ubuntu 32bit
>>> 2. ION is 16.04 Ubuntu 32bit
>>> both maschines are on MythTV 30.0/fixes
>>>
>>> How can I help?
>>>
>>> Beppo
>>>
>> Thanks for the reply! That's significant because it supports my theory
>> that the issue may be specific to 32bit. I'm not sure there's anything
>> you can do to help offhand, but just confirming that you can reproduce
>> this is great. I'll post a comment to the bug indicating this.
>>
>> Thanks again
>> Tom
> Is x86 still a viable platform? I see from that web page that ION is a
> 64-bit box. Ubuntu only supports 64-bit now, although Xubuntu is still
> available in 32-bit version. I recommend installing a 64-bit version on
> that ION.
>
> I can look into this problem if there is a consensus that i386 still
> needs to be supported.
>
> Peter

Thanks Peter. I'm certainly still using a 32bit (i686) frontend...an
old small form factor system. Since I'm using Gentoo it's very much
still supported. I'm running a 4.19.27 kernel actually. The only real
catch right now is that the nVidia drivers past the 390 version are
now 64bit only...but they still support the 390.xx as legacy drivers.

I know x86 is getting old in the tooth and all, and sure I could build
a new 64bit frontend...but here's the main reason I've yet to do that:
I've been able to get redundant hardware on the cheap used, so my
frontend can die and I can be back in business within about an hour by
swapping out a hard drive. That's really hard to give up, and I'd
basically have to spring for two new systems to have that.

It's certainly a perplexing issue especially given the various ffmpeg
tests I've noted in that bug. Certainly no rush for me on any of that,
but if you get a chance to look into it it'd be greatly appreciated.

Tom