[mythtv-users] Remote and blaster without LIRC?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue May 21 08:43:07 UTC 2019

On Mon, 20 May 2019 12:24:24 -0400, you wrote:

>Apologies to those that previously answered my remote questions months
>ago....I got distracted with other stuff and just got back to this.
>
>I have a new build with Ubuntu-Mate 18.04 installed, mostly working
>well.  I followed various instructions to drop LIRC and use ir-keytable
>instead; took some doing, but the remote is working well now.  But, my
>previous blaster script depended on LIRC, which is no longer installed.
>
>What's the current method of choice for blasters?  Do I need to
>re-install some part of LIRC, or is there a non-LIRC script to consider?

I do not know of any blaster support except via LIRC.  It may be
possible to set up LIRC to just run the blaster and not interfere with
the ir-keytable setup you now have, but I am not sure how to do that.
To install LIRC in 18.04, you should use my fix script as the LIRC
package for 18.04 is badly broken:

http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/lirc-ubuntu-18.04-install.sh

That script will download the LIRC source code and compile it to
create the missing *.so files, and install them in the right places,
and will set up LIRC for use as a normal IR remote input.  The Python
config commands for LIRC will work after that, but you will need to
change from the default setup to one that uses just the blaster, and I
am not sure if you can do that from the Python lirc-setup command. You
may need to manually change the /etc/lirc config files, starting with
/etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf.

In the worst case, you will need to undo your ir-keytable changes and
use LIRC for the IR input as well as for blasting.  If you have
ir-keytable working, I am sure it is possible to get it working also
via LIRC, but the changes you make to do it via ir-keytable are
usually not compatible with using LIRC.