[mythtv-users] BE3 - Issues with installation and database

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Sun May 19 20:34:12 UTC 2019

Hi Stephen!

OK, now verify that MariaDB is actually running by using the mysql command:

sudo mysql
show databases
quit

    Came out weird: only partially working??

    barry at Backend-3:~$ sudo mysql

    [sudo] password for barry:

    Welcome to the MariaDB monitor. Commands end with ; or \g.

    Your MariaDB connection id is 30

    Server version: 10.1.38-MariaDB-0ubuntu0.18.04.2 Ubuntu 18.04

    Copyright (c) 2000, 2018, Oracle, MariaDB Corporation Ab and others.

    Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input
    statement.

    MariaDB [(none)]> show databases

    -> show database

    -> quit

    -> exit

    -> \h

        (I’m inserting a comment/explanation here – various readers
        display how I’m formatting differently.) So ‘show databases’
        just went to an arrow prompt, though perhaps you had
        accidentally added an ‘s’ so I entered ‘show database’; still
        went to an arrow prompt. Quit command goes to prompt. (??!)
        Exit? Nope. It’s not liking words so try \h and get the help
        screen. (End comment; next restarts screen display.)

    General information about MariaDB can be found at

    http://mariadb.org

    List of all MySQL commands:

    Note that all text commands must be first on line and end with ';'

    BJM: Ahh! Was just about to edit out the help commands and saw the
    ‘end with semi-colon’ requirement!

    Now getting:

    MariaDB [(none)]> show databases;

    +--------------------+
    | Database |
    +--------------------+
    | information_schema |
    | mysql |
    | performance_schema |
    +--------------------+
    3 rows in set (0.01 sec)

    So a major error is my MariaDB isn’t seeing the mythconverg. Why
    MySQL is listed also seems a little odd.

    <snip the help list – I did try these – before that sneaky little
    semi-colon!>

    -> -V

    ->

    ->

    -> warnings

    -> status

    -> connect db

    -> status

    -> connect host

    -> status

    -> \q

    Bye

    BJM: For some attempt to provide information trying some of the
    above commands with the semi-colon completion. Appending to this
    message at “MariaDB semi-colon”.

<snip>

netstat -l -n -p | grep mysql

    I know things aren’t going to magically work but figure the more
    information you have the better you can help. Plus sometimes I learn
    things. :)

    barry at Backend-3:~$ netstat -l -n -p | grep mysql

    (Not all processes could be identified, non-owned process info

    will not be shown, you would have to be root to see it all.)

    unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 21417 - /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock

    barry at Backend-3:~$

    As whining I wasn't the owner did with sudo:

    barry at Backend-3:~$ sudo netstat -l -n -p | grep mysql

    tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:3306 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1029/mysqld

    unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 21417 1029/mysqld
    /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock

    barry at Backend-3:~$

    Different results (that could even be something significant!).

Go into mythtv-setup and check what settings you have for General >
Host Address Backend Setup > Primary IP address / DNS name. Is it
127.0.0.1 or localhost? Or is it the IP address of the PC? And are
the "Allow Connections from all Subnets" and "Listen on All IP
Addresses" options above that ticked or not?

    MythTV Startup Status screen: Database failed to start.

    Search screen: nothing listed, “No UPnP backends found”. (I do have
    the system unplugged so it would screw up BE2 like it did BE1.)

    Database configuration screen:

    Hostname set to 192.168.0.3. Have previously tried 127.0.0.1,
    localhost, Backend-3 in the off chance.

    As for the “Allow Connections from all Subnets” and “Listen to all
    IP Addresses”, I recall seeing those but they’re not on this screen
    and that’s the only screen I can get to other than the database one.

    Also adding this, from Terminal:

    barry at Backend-3:~$ mythtv-setup

    ERROR 2003 (HY000): Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.168.0.3'
    (101 "Network is unreachable")

    Gtk-Message: 14:27:40.034: GtkDialog mapped without a transient
    parent. This is discouraged.

    /usr/bin/mythtv-setup: 68: /usr/bin/mythtv-setup: gksu: not found

    Gtk-Message: 14:27:48.685: GtkDialog mapped without a transient
    parent. This is discouraged.

    I’m not all that concerned about the ‘this is discouraged’ line but
    wondering if the ‘gksu’ part is. Read it was discontinued in 18.04,
    so maybe the two lines are creating a problem?

Thanks again!

Barry

- - - -

*Appendix*

“MariaDB semi-colon”

New information which may or may not be useful :

MariaDB [(none)]> -V;

ERROR 1064 (42000): You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the
manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right
syntax to use near '-V' at line 1

MariaDB [(none)]> warnings;

Show warnings enabled.

MariaDB [(none)]> status

--------------

mysql Ver 15.1 Distrib 10.1.38-MariaDB, for debian-linux-gnu (x86_64)
using readline 5.2

Connection id: 33

Current database:

Current user: root at localhost

SSL: Not in use

Current pager: stdout

Using outfile: ''

Using delimiter: ;

Server: MariaDB

Server version: 10.1.38-MariaDB-0ubuntu0.18.04.2 Ubuntu 18.04

Protocol version: 10

Connection: Localhost via UNIX socket

Server characterset: utf8mb4

Db characterset: utf8mb4

Client characterset: utf8mb4

Conn. characterset: utf8mb4

UNIX socket: /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock

Uptime: 55 min 11 sec

Threads: 1 Questions: 72 Slow queries: 0 Opens: 32 Flush tables: 1 Open
tables: 26 Queries per second avg: 0.021

MariaDB [(none)]> connect db;

ERROR 1049 (42000): Unknown database 'db'

unknown [db]>

unknown [db]> connect db

ERROR 1049 (42000): Unknown database 'db'

unknown [db]> connect host;

ERROR 1049 (42000): Unknown database 'host'

unknown [host]> connect host