[mythtv-users] ffmpeg vs vdpau decode for h264

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sun May 19 01:27:47 UTC 2019

On 5/18/19, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/18/19, Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net> wrote:

>>> Very interesting...thanks for testing that! I just posted a link in
>>> that bug to this, which is another better example that falls back to
>>> software in mythtv:
>>>
>>> http://jell.yfish.us/media/jellyfish-60-mbps-hd-h264.mkv
>>
>> No problem playing that with vdpau under 29.1 either.
>
> Thanks! Also interesting. I'd be interested for others to try that
> running 30.0...especially on 64 bit platforms. As  I added to that
> bug, in my case I'm running on an older 32 bit x86 system, and it's at
> least possible the decode errors are related to that.
>
> Thanks again!
> Tom

So Peter Bennett reported on that bug that both clips play fine for
him with vdpau in version 30. That almost makes me wonder if this is
in fact a 32 bit issue. I'd be interested for others to try it on
either mythtv version if possible...especially anyone also using vpdau
on x86.

I'm running into this enough that it almost has me tempted to revert
back to 29.1. I know that's risky but the schema changes involved were
minimal at least and I could reverse those. Hoping it doesn't come to
that.

Thanks again for the tests!

Tom