[mythtv-users] ffmpeg vs vdpau decode for h264

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Thu May 16 10:52:06 UTC 2019

On 5/15/19, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:
> What would cause MythTV to use ffmpeg decoding as apposed to vdpau
> when playing back h264 video? A followup question to that: Is there
> any reason this would be happening more with version 30.0 than with
> 29.1? It cound be coincidence but I seem to be running into that more.
> I know there were changes related to h265, but I'm not aware of
> anything around h264.
>
> Thanks!
> Tom

Interesting. While I don't have any examples of the above at the
moment, I think I know what might be causing this:

All h264 videos I have at the moment use vdpau h264 decoding, and
they're getting interpreted as progressive. I just recalled that in a
case where ffmpeg decoding occurred, the video was using hardware
de-interlacing (Advanced 2x) despite the fact that it was supposed to
be 1080p.

I have a feeling that's related. Any ideas how or if a 1080p video
could be interpreted as interlaced?

Thanks
Tom