Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Wed May 15 23:13:49 UTC 2019

On 5/15/19 12:51 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:

> If you have MariaDB installed, the mysql.service and mysqld.service
> unit files get set up as links to mariadb.service:
>
> root at mypvr:/etc/systemd/system# ll mys*
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 35 Oct  6  2018 mysqld.service ->
> /lib/systemd/system/mariadb.service
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 35 Oct  6  2018 mysql.service ->
> /lib/systemd/system/mariadb.service
>
> So if you use the name mysql or mysqld in a systemctl command, you
> will actually be referring to mariadb.service.

OT, won't fix Barry's issue:

I have MariaDB and it works fine. I didn't have those links. Seems off as
in the mariadb.service these appear:

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
Alias=mysql.service
Alias=mysqld.service

A little searching found that the Aliases only get created when the service
is enabled. If it comes enabled already, the links don't exist (my case.)
sudo systemctl stop mariadb && sudo systemctl disable mariadb && sudo systemctl enable mariadb
created the links. Interesting. systemctl status mysql.service mysqld.service mariadb.service
now returns the same thing three times.

The commands and responses posted earlier were what I got. Apparently, at
one time the mysql LSB version in init.d was installed and started mariadb. I had
removed it and its rc?.d links, but when I went to 19.04 they were put back.

On topic: systemctl status mariadb
is all that's required.

--
Bill