[mythtv-users] BE3 - Issues with installation and database

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Wed May 15 20:38:11 UTC 2019

Resending as as soon as I clicked <send> realized didn't correct the subject

Hi Stephen!

Now look at the */etc/mythtv/config.xml* file. Change the password there
if you want to, and then set the same password in MariaDB:

**sudo su**
**mysql**

ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can’t connect to local MySQL server through
socket ‘var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock’ (2 “No such file or directory”)
MariaDB is not running for some reason. You need to look at the log files:

/var/log/mysql.*
//var/log/mysql//*

especially /var/log/mysql/error.log. There should be error messages in
there that will tell you what is wrong.

    Looks like started but at 127.0.0.1

    Last line of log says ‘/usr/sbin/mysqld: Shutdown complete’ (so
    turned off mariadb because nothing happening at localhost?)

Also run these systemd commands and see what they show:

sudo systemctl status mariadb

    Unit mariabd.service could not be found

sudo journalctl --unit=mariadb

    Starting MariaDB 10.1.38 database server

    (long line indicating started as process 7472)

    mariadb.service: Start operation timed out. Terminating.

    mariadb.service: Failed with result ‘timeout’

    Failed to start MariaDB 10.1.38 database service

Looks like I may as well stop here as need to figure out why MariaDB is
looking at localhost instead of the static assigned IP 192.168.0.3 (or
at least I’m assuming that’s a problem).

*grant all on mythconverg.* to mythtv@"%" identified by "<password>";*

(BJM) I stopped at this point as received the response indicating
‘command grant not found’. At that point was in a ‘deeper’ Terminal
command level – root at Backend-3 vs. barry- at Backend-3. At the
‘barry at Backend-3 <mailto:barry at Backend-3> <mailto:barry at Backend-3>’
prompt checked ‘grant –help’:
not found. Guessing ‘grant’ is a MySQL command but not loading because
of the socket error.

LIS, checked a couple things then stopped at this point to ask for help.
BTW, the /etc/mythtv/config.xml file contained the same random password
as (my) yesterday. Thought that a hare odd as when uninstalled MySQL
previously (before asking for help) the new install of MythTV changed
the original password (of install #1). Just in case that bit of trivia
is significant.
Uninstalling a package does not uninstall any data files created by that
package, or files created when that software was run. If you use apt-get
purge instead of apt-get remove, that will remove the data
files created by the package (such as //etc/mythtv//* files). So
reinstalling a package without a prior purge will leave the old files
from the previous install and you will still have the old
/etc/mythtv/config.xml with the old password in it.

Right: had used *sudo apt-get --purge remove my**sql-*. ...Ah! did a
reverse command search and the site did it backwards: *sudo ap**t-get
remove –purge mysql* . Would that make any difference?

Thanks!

Barry