[mythtv-users] Only Banners & Fanart

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri May 10 11:15:37 UTC 2019

On Fri, 10 May 2019 06:34:59 -0400, you wrote:

>Greetings Mythizens, my storage1 drive dropped out yesterday, recordings on
>that drive are now red on the FE the drive does not show up in either disks
>or gparted, but in files (GUI) I see storage1 under /etc/mnt/mythtv, and in
>files I see banners and fanart, no recordings or videos, etcetra. I assume
>hardware failure, but partial disk failure? Any ideas?

First find the /dev partition name that is on the mount point:

df -l | grep -w /etc/mnt/mythtv | awk {'print $1'}

Do you have smartmontools installed?  If not, install that package.
Then do this command:

sudo smartctl -a /dev/xxxx

where /dev/xxxx is the /dev device name reported by the df -l command,
but without the partition number on the end.  So if it df -l reported
/dev/sdb3, use /dev/sdb.  Check the output for problems with the
drive.  This is the output I get from one of my drives that does not
have any problems:

root at mypvr:~# smartctl -a /dev/sdb
smartctl 7.0 2018-12-30 r4883 [x86_64-linux-4.15.0-48-generic] (local
build)
Copyright (C) 2002-18, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke,
www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family:     Seagate NAS HDD
Device Model:     ST4000VN000-1H4168
Serial Number:    Z300MZCT
LU WWN Device Id: 5 000c50 063e4a6c3
Firmware Version: SC43
User Capacity:    4,000,787,030,016 bytes [4.00 TB]
Sector Sizes:     512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical
Rotation Rate:    5900 rpm
Form Factor:      3.5 inches
Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is:   ACS-2, ACS-3 T13/2161-D revision 3b
SATA Version is:  SATA 3.1, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 6.0 Gb/s)
Local Time is:    Fri May 10 22:58:23 2019 NZST
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED
See vendor-specific Attribute list for marginal Attributes.

General SMART Values:
Offline data collection status:  (0x82) Offline data collection
activity
                                        was completed without error.
                                        Auto Offline Data Collection:
Enabled.
Self-test execution status:      (   0) The previous self-test routine
completed
                                        without error or no self-test
has ever
                                        been run.
Total time to complete Offline
data collection:                (  117) seconds.
Offline data collection
capabilities:                    (0x7b) SMART execute Offline
immediate.
                                        Auto Offline data collection
on/off support.
                                        Suspend Offline collection
upon new
                                        command.
                                        Offline surface scan
supported.
                                        Self-test supported.
                                        Conveyance Self-test
supported.
                                        Selective Self-test supported.
SMART capabilities:            (0x0003) Saves SMART data before
entering
                                        power-saving mode.
                                        Supports SMART auto save
timer.
Error logging capability:        (0x01) Error logging supported.
                                        General Purpose Logging
supported.
Short self-test routine
recommended polling time:        (   1) minutes.
Extended self-test routine
recommended polling time:        ( 511) minutes.
Conveyance self-test routine
recommended polling time:        (   2) minutes.
SCT capabilities:              (0x10bd) SCT Status supported.
                                        SCT Error Recovery Control
supported.
                                        SCT Feature Control supported.
                                        SCT Data Table supported.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 10
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE UPDATED
WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000f   119   099   006    Pre-fail
Always       -       234257208
  3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0003   092   091   000    Pre-fail
Always       -       0
  4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   100   100   020    Old_age Always
-       501
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   010    Pre-fail
Always       -       0
  7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x000f   075   057   030    Pre-fail
Always       -       17314933481
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   044   044   000    Old_age Always
-       49849
 10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0013   100   100   097    Pre-fail
Always       -       0
 12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   020    Old_age Always
-       500
184 End-to-End_Error        0x0032   100   100   099    Old_age Always
-       0
187 Reported_Uncorrect      0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age Always
-       0
188 Command_Timeout         0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age Always
-       0
189 High_Fly_Writes         0x003a   001   001   000    Old_age Always
-       517
190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel 0x0022   056   041   045    Old_age Always
In_the_past 44 (Min/Max 40/48 #966)
191 G-Sense_Error_Rate      0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age Always
-       0
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age Always
-       174
193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age Always
-       501
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   044   059   000    Old_age Always
-       44 (0 17 0 0 0)
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0012   100   100   000    Old_age Always
-       0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0010   100   100   000    Old_age
Offline      -       0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x003e   200   200   000    Old_age Always
-       32

SMART Error Log Version: 1
No Errors Logged

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining
LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%        39 -
# 2  Short offline       Completed without error       00%        31 -
# 3  Conveyance offline  Completed without error       00%         0 -

SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1
 SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS
    1        0        0  Not_testing
    2        0        0  Not_testing
    3        0        0  Not_testing
    4        0        0  Not_testing
    5        0        0  Not_testing
Selective self-test flags (0x0):
  After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.
If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute
delay.

In particular, the Reallocated_Sector_Ct, Current_Pending_Sector and
Offline_Uncorrectable values should all be 0.  If you do not
understand the results, post the smartctl output for us to see if we
can interpret it for you.

Have you tried dismounting the drive and running fsck on it?

Do these commands:

sudo umount /etc/mnt/mythtv
sudo fsck -C -f /dev/xxxx

where /dev/xxxx is the /dev partition name returned by the df -l
command.

If you get errors from fsck, then your filesystem is corrupt and fsck
may be able to repair it and get your missing files back again.  It
may ask you questions about what it should do with each problem - you
have to make your best guess as to what is correct.  It pays to note
down what fixes it did, as you may wind up with corrupt copies of any
fixed files and may need to do some manual fixes for those files.  For
example, if it reports two files using the same data area, one or
other (or both) of the two files will have corrupt data after the
repair, and you will need to later manually check each such file and
decide what to do about it.  After fsck completes, if you have had it
make any repairs, run it again and keep running it again until it runs
without reporting any problems or doing any repairs.  I had one
corrupt drive where I had to run fsck 11 times before it repaired
everything.

Then mount the partition again:

mount /etc/mnt/mythtv

and see if your missing files are back.