[mythtv-users] Getting GUI Error message, when opening the MythTV Browser page.

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu May 9 14:29:59 UTC 2019

On Thu, 9 May 2019 12:12:40 +0200, you wrote:

>Hello,
>I was running mythbuntu fine for few years, till last week, when I tried to
>upgrade it to 16.04LTS. After fiddling around for few days, I decided to
>copy all recordings, etc. (/var/lib/mythtv/* ) and the last days backup and
>fresh and clean install Mythbuntu 16.04LTS. The install was successfull and
>I was able to get my video cards also working.(WinTV HVR-4000-HD)
>I imported my Backup with Mythbuntu Control Center and copied all files
>back under /var/lib/mythtv.
>
>When I try to open the mythtv Gui via Browser, I am getting a mysql error
>messages i the browser.(See more at the end of mail.)
>
>[err] => Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
>
>It works via command line and the pasword set in config.xml is correct.
>(See below; password changed for this mail)
>
>The Server is listening on the correct IP:Port.
>
>miro at mythbox:~$ netstat -ntlp|grep -i 3306
>(Not all processes could be identified, non-owned process info
> will not be shown, you would have to be root to see it all.)
>tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:3306          0.0.0.0:*
>LISTEN      -
>miro at mythbox:~$
>

>And remember, this is a mythbuntu install. Used this ISO:
>http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/mythbuntu/releases/16.04/release/mythbuntu-16.04.6-desktop-amd64.iso
>
>Somehow I get a page under http://192.168.178.32:6544/
>
>Any idea what is wrong here ?
>
>Thanks!
>Cheers,
>Miro
>
>----
>
>Fatal Error
>
>!!NoTrans: Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'localhost' (using password:
>YES) [#1045]
>
>Backtrace
>Array
>(
>[0] => Array
>(
>[file] => /usr/share/mythtv/mythweb/classes/Database/Query/mysqlicompat.php
>[line] => 65
>[function] => error
>[class] => Database
>[object] => Database_mysqlicompat Object
>(
>[dbh] =>
>[error] => Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'localhost' (using password:
>YES) [#1045]
>[err] => Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
>[errno] => 1045
>[last_sh] => Database_Query_mysqlicompat Object
>(
>[dbh] =>
>[query] => Array
>(
>[0] => SET NAMES utf8;
>)
>
>[last_query] => SET NAMES utf8;
>

>----
>miro at mythbox:~$ mysql -u mythtv -pP900XGam
>mysql: [Warning] Using a password on the command line interface can be
>insecure.
> [...]

When you backup and restore the database, you are only restoring the
"mythconverg" database.  MySQL and MariaDB store the access
credentials in the "mysql" database, so they will not have been
restored.  So you need to set up access for the username and password
that are in your config.xml file.  The method of doing that has
changed a little in later versions of MySQL/MariaDB, but I think this
should work for 16.04:

sudo mysql -u root mythconverg
grant all on mythconverg.* to mythtv@"localhost" identified by
"P900XGam";